विकिपीडिया:Article wizard/Company notability
If a topic has received significant coverage in reliable sources that are independent of the subject, it is presumed to satisfy the inclusion criteria for a stand-alone article.
Very few companies and corporations are suitable for inclusion into Wikipedia. There are millions of companies in the world but less than one-tenth of one percent of these companies are notable enough to be considered for inclusion into Wikipedia.
In order to be included in Wikipedia, the company must be:
- the subject of multiple non-trivial published works whose source is independent of the company itself, OR
- listed on ranking indices of important companies produced by well-known and independent publications, OR
- used to calculate stock market indices. Being used to calculate an index that simply comprises the entire market is excluded.
If you are writing about a product or service of a company, that product or service must:
- have been the subject of multiple non-trivial published works whose source is independent of the company offering the product or service, OR
- be so well-known that its trademark has suffered from genericization.
Conflict of interest/advertising
If you are closely associated with the company you want to write about, you have a conflict of interest and will find it very difficult to write a good, neutral encyclopedia article. You will probably find it very difficult to write an article which will not look like advertising to other editors - and using Wikipedia for advertising has been against official policy for a very long time. To this end, if your article submission reads like an advertisement or does not meet the notability guidelines outlined above, it will most likely be deleted very quickly. The best advice here may be to do nothing: if your company is notable, someone else will write about it sooner or later. In the mean time, you could look for another topic to write about from the list at Wikipedia:Requested articles.